Friday, November 14, 2008

Why Doesn't Anyone Make a Perfect Head player? :: GBodyForum.com - '78-'88 GM G Body Community

I have grappled with this for a while now. I Adult Webcam to upgrade the CD unit in my beater, but no one makes one with all the features I would Adult Webcam for a price I would pay. All I Adult Webcam is a CD unit with a USB interface in the front that is capable of reading my iPod or a USB jump drive, HD radio built in, satellite radio, Bluetooth connectivity, and a volume knob-not buttons in a DIN/ISO chassis. It also has to have a built in sub crossover and gain control, and an onboard EQ. I also Adult Webcam it for under $300. Is that too much to ask? In fact, it does not even have to feature a CD unit because I have little use for CD's anymore. I use the iPod for everything, and would probably just switch to jump drives if I could. They're so much less volatile than CD's. i got into a decent one that has like 1/2 of the things you wanted for $80.00 but if you Adult Webcam bluetooth capabilities your toast on trying to find one cheap. you're asking for a shitload of options there, $300 is ridiculous. especially for satellite and bluetooth. I just saw an Alpine at Best Buy that has most, if not all of those features for 300. The one bad thing is that it didnt have the I-Pod connection up front. I have most of those things right now, except for the USB, bluetooth, HD and satellite. I adapted the one I have now for the iPod using a $12 cable off Ebay that plugs in to the DIN plug in the back, and my current one allows it to be configured as a generic input. I have found one that was close, but lacked the HD, which is the whole reason I Adult Webcam the new head player to begin with. My favorite talk station ( 970 WFLA) cuts it's power at sunset, and I can't hear it while I work. They have an HD signal though that does not get cut, so I really Adult Webcam one for that reason. I have a JVC right now, and kind of Adult Webcam to stay with the same brand because they have been reliable for me and tend to last a few hundred thousand miles. When you drive 35-50,000 miles a year, reliability becomes VERY important! Alpine does make a stereo that is just for an I-POD, no CD unit with almost if not all the other features you Adult Webcam:
$200
$300
now if somebody would make something like that in the old 2-post style instead of the newer style. I saw one out there not long ago but it was ugly and way overpriced. Yeah, X2 on the Alpine. Check them out. I've had lotsa different brands of equipment over the years and I'm kind of partial to the Alpine ones. Otherwise Eclipse are nice but for the features your looking for they might be a little more spendy. I'll go check. And GP403. I hear you on that also. Got to cut stuff to make something really nice work, Grand Prix's anyway.
Hey check out the Eclipse CD3200. I think you'll find it's about what your looking for. I've got a couple links for you but for some reason I get a error when I try to post and submit them. It says: Method Not Implemented. Whatever that means. Probably thinks I'm a spammer or something. Also crutchfield.com sells it for like $280. I KNEW someone would offer that! I have been saying for a long time that CD's are on the way out and that iPods and flash drives were the wave of the future. The only bad is the HD and Bluetooth require external modules. Those modules usually cost $100 each. I'll have to look up what Alpine wants for them and compare it to the same idea with JVC. JVC has a reciever with built in Bluetooth, but the HD is an add on. I think it also has a rear USB. Then, they also have a player with a front USB, but the Bluetooth requires a module as does HD. They also have an HD with no Bluetooth and no USB.
As for the GP dash cutting, couldn't you just use the radio panel from a 1984 or newer GP like you can on a Cutlass, Regal or Monte? The GM radios were all 1.5 DIN chassis size, even the old shaft style radios. The only change they made when they went to the "newer" style radios was the face. However, I still scratch my head as to why GM did not subscribe to the double DIN chassis format the rest of the world has. It would make upgrading to a double DIN chassis with GPS and video so much easier today. I was halfway looking around for a front USB head player. I found a few, but I've never been able to buy anything other than an Alpine so I'm holding out for them to come up with one. I'd much rather do the flash drive, since I have one of those already and don't have an iPod. The iPods I have (4 of them) have never cost me more than $20. I bought 3 broken ones, and my sister gave me her old one. One of them I had to replace the screen on ($10), another I had to re-solder a switch (free), and another I bought to hack. The two Nanos I got were $3.25 each on Ebay, and around $12 total with shipping. I wouldn't spend what Apple wants for them new as to me it seems like a ridiculous amount of cash for an MP3 unit, no matter how cool it is.
Anyhow, the only one I can seem to find with a front USB is from JVC. THe USB is nice because weather you have the flash drive or the MP3 unit, it will still work with it. It also lets you charge the battery in the MP3 unit as you use it.
Another cool option I have thought about is an onboard hard drive mounted in the truck somewhere. Then, you don't need to have any prerecorded media in the car with you other than when you load the HD. Unfortunately, budgetary constraints keep me from doing this sort of thing-for now. In a few years it will probably be common and cheap.
Then again ( continuing on this brainstorm), if you got a large capacity microdrive or CF card, and a USB connected reader, could you not run it off the back of the radio from the USB cable? That would allow you somewhere north of 20gb of storage for around $100 if you shop around on Ebay. All you'd have to do is load it using a laptop or even a desktop before installing it. You could use an old iPod Mini as the reader (It uses CFII format microdrives), so long as the motherboard and cord were there. The clickwheel, screen and battery would not need to be any good so long as you could read it as a set of directories on the head player's front screen. It could be hidden in the dash somewhere, and connected using a generic iPod to USB sync cable. This should work with other "broken" MP3 players too so long as the head player is capable of reading and navigating the unit's file format. Sorry if none of this works, but I just thought of this while I was typing this post. I'm surprised there arent more front USB drives out there! Also, you think they could do a 20 gig HD built into the head player itself, so you could either use a flash drive or a laptop to load it. That would be ideal since flash drives are pretty efficient. You could do away with CD's altogether.
The head player I have in an MP3 one, so I've been burning 5-6 CD's in MP3 form onto one CD, but I'd much rather be able to store 100 CD's on a flash drive. GP403 did you mean this 85 cutlass sounds like your asking a lot out of one radio good luck finding it.
Yeah, thats the one. But $300? Ow. For what it does and looks like no thanks! I'll stick with the tried-n-true cassette tape adapter to ipod routine for now wow i love that retrosound radio, if i get another G-body i know what i will be using. so much easier than my current radio

No comments: